POSHAN Abhiyaan (National Nutrition Mission – NNM) set up by the Government in November, 2017 aims to reduce the level of stunting, under-nutrition, anemia and low birth weight babies.
COMPONENTS OF THE ABHIYAN
- Ensuring convergence with various programmes
- Incentivizing States/ UTs for achieving goals
- IT enabled Real Time Monitoring (ICT-RTM)
- Weighing efficiency and making nutrition visible
- Community mobilization awareness
- Jan Andolan – to educate the people on nutritional aspects, on-line Course on Nutrition for Children, Nutrition message from folk songs and songs on WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene), sending messages on nutrition and also creating ring-tones, Yoga for children at Anganwadis
- Strengthening human resource
- Measuring height and length of children below 6 years of age.
- Coverage of districts is done in a phased manner is 315 districts in 2017-18, 235 districts in 2018-19 and remaining districts in 2019-20.
- Under POSHAN Abhiyaan, the Government has fixed targets to reduce stunting, under-nutrition, anemia (among young children, women and adolescent girls) and reduce low birth weight by 2%, 2%, 3% and 2% per annum respectively.
- Mission also strives to achieve reduction in Stunting from 38.4% (NFHS-4) to 25% by 2022 (Mission 25 by 2022).
MONITORING OF THE ABHIYAAN
- The mission is monitored through ICDS-CAS (Common Application Software), which aims to augment system strengthening including improving the coverage and quality of nutrition services.
- The ICDS-CAS has two components, namely the mobile application which is made available to the field functionaries pre-loaded on mobile phones and a six tier monitoring dashboard for desktops. The software allows the capture of data from the field on electronic devices (mobile/tablet).
- The mission also includes mapping of various other schemes related to malnutrition and enabling synergies through ICT-based real-time monitoring system. These other schemes include the Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY), Janani Suraksha Yojana, Scheme for Adolescent Girls (SAG), Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan, PDS, National Health Mission, etc.
View all comments