What’s in the news?
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development has said that the PM CARES scheme for children orphaned due to COVID-19 pandemic has been extended till February 28, 2022.
- The scheme was earlier valid till December 31, 2021.
- The scheme covers all children who have lost both parents, the lone surviving parent or legal guardian or adoptive parent or parents, due to COVID-19 after March 11, 2020.
- To avail the scheme, a child should not have turned 18 on the date of death of his or her parents.
- The scheme announced in May 2021, provides gap funding for education and health and a monthly stipend from the age of 18 years, apart from a lump sum amount of ₹10 lakh when a beneficiary turns 23 years old.
- Till January 31, 2022, the government had received 6,624 applications, out of which 3,855 had been approved. Applications can be submitted at https://pmcaresforchildren.in.