About the Scheme
- ‘Pehchan’ cards scheme is a part of the initiative of the Union Textile Ministry to register and provide identity cards to handicraft artisans and link them to a national database.
- Launched in 2016, it is a new upgraded ID card for artisans that is linked with their Aadhaar numbers and bank accounts so that they can receive direct cash transfer benefits.
- The scheme was planned to facilitate the benefits of various schemes of the Union Government to flow directly into their accounts.
- Besides, the ID card enables the artisans to avail easy loans at lower interest rate.
Why in News?
- 27.80 lakhs handicrafts artisans across the country have been registered under the PAHCHAN scheme this year.