Organisation of Islamic Cooperation
- The Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) is the second largest inter-governmental organization after the United Nations with a membership of 57 states.
- The majority of its member states are Muslim-majority countries, while others have significant Muslim populations, including several African and South American countries.
- India is neither a member nor an observer of the OIC.
- The OIC is the collective voice of the Muslim world to ensure and safeguard their interest on economic socio and political areas.
- Its Headquarters is in Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Why in News?
- Speaking at the United Nations Human Rights Council (Refer Pulse 39 edition), India asserted that the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation has no locus standi to comment on Jammu and Kashmir which is an integral part of India.
- India’s representative said it is regrettable that OIC continues to allow itself to be exploited by Pakistan to indulge in anti-India propaganda.
View all comments