Why in News?
- New museums on Jammu and Kashmir, Gautam Buddha, Indian armour and the freedom struggle are expected to be in 2021 according to the Culture Ministry.
- The museum on Jammu and Kashmir, first of its kind in India, captures the essence and spirit of Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh as an integral part of the nation since ages as Bharat, Hindustan, India.
- The museum elaborates this by tracing the roots of Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh since prehistoric times to the present day and telling unheard stories of the region and people which have been lost in the centuries of time
- The museum on Gautama Buddha focuses on the religious and traditional aspects of Buddhist heritage in India, forging a new outlook on its spread, development, and cultural synthesis over centuries.
- A first of its kind museum on Buddha, the new museum would have over 200 objects from the 1st Century CE to 19th Century CE, including stone and bronze sculptures, terracotta heads and costumes.
Freedom struggle museum
- The Ministry is setting up a museum dedicated to the freedom struggle at a renovated barrack at the Red Fort.
- The museum, first of its kind, will narrate the story of the country’s freedom struggle in an interactive manner with more emphasis on the unheard stories of people’s participation in India’s freedom movement representing contribution of all regions.
- Developed at the Red Fort, it would showcase arms and armour of India through the ages — from prehistoric stone weapons onwards.