- Mushaira, also called mehfil or Mushairi, is an Urdu poetic symposium.
- It is an event where poets gather to perform their works.
- A mushaira is a beloved part of the Culture of North India, Pakistan and the Deccan, particularly among the Hyderabadi Muslims, and it is greatly admired by participants as a forum for free self-expression.
- The Mushaira form of Urdu poetry took shape in the 18th century in the Mughal Court.
Why in News?
- Eminent Urdu poet Rahat Indori (1950-2020) succumbed to COVID-related complications recently.
- He was an unwavering light that kept the ‘mushaira’ poetry alive for generations.