About the Initiative
- Mission LiFE is a global initiative by India to help the world in its fight against climate change and lead to a sustainable way of life to achieve the sustainable development goals set by the U.N. It was launched in 2022.
- Mission LiFE will be India’s signature initiative at the UN and other international platforms for showcasing climate action and early achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals.
- It envisages a circular economy through people’s participation. It also plans to nurture a global network of individuals, namely “pro-planet people” or P3, who will have a shared commitment to adopt and promote environment-friendly lifestyles.
- It aims at following a three-pronged strategy for changing people’s collective approach towards sustainability.
- This includes nudging individuals to practice simple yet effective environment-friendly actions in their daily lives (demand), enabling industries and markets to respond swiftly to the changing demand (supply), and to influence government and industrial policy to support both sustainable consumption and production (policy).
Why in News?
- The National Institute of Himalayan Environment (NIHE), an Autonomous Institute of Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change, organised awareness programs on high-altitude remotely located villages of Utarakhand on Mission LiFE.