What are they?
- They’re mostly used to carry out a variety of naval operations, such as finding and destroying enemy submarines and huge surface ships.
- The frigate supports naval forces during air, surface and sub-surface missions.
- Krivak-III class frigates will be armed with the BrahMos anti-ship cruise missile (ASCM), reinforcing their reputation as the world’s most-heavily armed 4,000-tonne warships.
- In 2016, India and Russia signed an Inter-Governmental Agreement (IGA) for four Krivak or Talwar class stealth frigates — two to be procured directly from Russia and two to be built by the Goa Shipyard Limited (GSL)
Why in News:
- The first of two additional Krivak class stealth frigates being built by Russia is expected to be delivered to India in the middle of 2023.
View all comments