Jal Shakti Abhiyan:Catch the Rain
Jal Shakti Abhiyan
- In 2019, the Ministry of Jal Shakti launched the Jal Shakti Abhiyan in 256 water stressed districts across the country. This Abhiyan is a mass movement to bring all the stakeholders under one ambit of water conservation drive.
- These districts fell under the critical or over-exploited groundwater category, where groundwater was being exploited faster than it could be replenished.
- Under JSA, five target interventions to promote water conservation and water resource management are implemented, viz.
- Water conservation & rainwater harvesting,
- Renovation of traditional & other water-bodies/tanks,
- Reuse and recharge of bore-wells,
- Watershed development and
- Intensive afforestation etc.
Why in the news?
Prime Minister Narendra Modi is set to launch the ‘Jal Shakti Abhiyan:Catch the Rain’ campaign on World Water Day i.e. on 22nd March 2021.
About ‘Jal Shakti Abhiyan:Catch the Rain’
- The Campaign will be undertaken across the country, in both rural and urban areas, with the theme “catch the rain, where it falls, when it falls”.
- It will be implemented from 22nd March 2021 to 30th November, 2021 – the pre-monsoon and monsoon period in the country.
- It will be launched as a Jan Andolan (People’s Movement) to take water conservation at grass-root level through people’s participation.
- It is intended to nudge all stakeholders to create rainwater harvesting structures suitable to the climatic conditions and subsoil strata, to ensure proper storage of rainwater.
View all comments