Jal Jeevan Mission
About Jal Jeevan Mission
- Launched in 2019, the chief objective of the Mission is to provide Functional Household Tap Connection (FHTC) to every rural household by 2024 and thereby ensuring potable water supply in adequate quantity i.e. @ 55 lpcd (Litres per capita per day) of prescribed quality on a long-term and regular basis.
- This Mission is under the Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- It focuses on integrated demand and supply-side management of water at the local level.
- The programme also implements source sustainability measures as mandatory elements, such as recharge and reuse through greywater management, water conservation and rainwater harvesting.
- The Jal Jeevan Mission is based on a community approach to water and will include extensive Information, Education and Communication (IEC) as a key component of the mission.
- JJM looks to create a Jan Andolan (People’s Movement) for water, thereby making it everyone’s priority.
- The fund sharing pattern is 90:10 for Himalayan and North-Eastern States; 50:50 for other States and 100% for UTs.
Why in News?
- After touching the milestone of providing tap water supply to more than 9 Crore homes on 16th February, 2022, Jal Jeevan Mission achieved another milestone of providing tap water to every home of 100 districts in the country.
- Chamba, an Aspirational District of Himachal Pradesh has become the 100th ‘Har Ghar Jal’ District.
View all comments