Why in News:
- The Supreme Court ordered a status quo on the dismantling of the Navy’s decommissioned aircraft carrier, INS Viraat.
About INS Viraat
- INS Viraat holds the Guinness World Record for being the longest serving warship of the world.
- Viraat served in the British Navy as HMS Hermes for 25 years. It was commissioned into the Indian Navy in 1987 after refurbishment.
- An aircraft carrier is a warship with a full-length flight deck and facilities for carrying, arming, deploying, and recovering aircraft, that serves as a seagoing airbase.
- Viraat played a major role in Operation Jupiter in 1989 during the Sri Lankan Peacekeeping operation and also during Operation Parakram in 2001-2002 after the terrorist attack on Parliament.
- The Ship also played a key role in Operation Vijay by creating blockade against Pakistan during Kargil War in 1999.
- The ship which was the centerpiece of the Navy, housed the fighters Sea Harriers of INAS 300, popularly called “White Tigers”, Anti Submarine aircraft Sea king Mk 42B – also known as “Harpoons” – Sea King Mk 42 C and the SAR helicopter Chetak as an integral flight.
- The indigenous Advance Light Helicopter ‘Dhruv’ and the Russian twin rotor Kamov-31 have also operated from the ship.