Recently, a virtual meeting was held to review the progress made on various India-aided developmental projects being implemented in Nepal.
The meeting carried out a comprehensive review of bilateral economic and development.
A glance at Indo-Nepal relationship
- Since the 1960s, Nepal has been the starting point of India’s partnership in terms of development.
- In 2016, the oversight mechanism which includes the review of the various ongoing projects and bring India and Nepal on the same stake and it is considered as the highest possible dialogue which adds up to strengthening of the relationship.
- There are various ongoing projects between India and Nepal which shows the strength of the neighbouring country.
- Eg- Projects related to Infrastructure, hydropower, Irrigation, Integrated check posts, etc.
- The level of economic cooperation between both the countries is so far very smooth in terms of trade, commerce, energy, remittances, cultural ties, etc. which is a positive sign.
- This widest possible set of relations is beneficial for both the countries as well as for the people of both countries.
What are the various issues as far as Indo-Nepal relations are concerned?
(i) The major challenge especially for the delay of the projects is the availability of Land because in Nepal there is a problem in price fixing of the land.
(ii) There is an issue of technological deficit in some areas due to which the efficiency of the project may decrease.
(iii) The physical barriers like fold mountains especially in the terai region can be a problem for certain projects.
(iv) Previously, there were contractors who used to go and work in Nepal but as of now there has been a very small number of contractors who are ready to take up the projects.
- There is a need to identify the concrete projects which is beneficial for both the countries in order to avoid the piling of the delayed projects.
- Proactive steps need to be taken in terms of working together and maintaining a positive relationship.
- The cultural ties have to be strengthened further.
- The common interest of the people should be taken care of while moving forward for any project.
- India needs to be focussed and should push the relation to various other levels where cooperation is possible.
- Both the countries are inter-tangled with each other and the recent high level oversight mechanism is a positive note.
- There are some issues which need to be looked upon but without dwelling on the past, both the countries should join hands for higher economic integration.