- The monthly Index of Eight Core Industries (ICI) is a production volume index.
- The objective of the ICI is to provide an advance indication on production performance of industries of ‘core’ nature. These industries are likely to impact on general economic activities as well as industrial activities.
- The Eight Core Industries- Electricity, steel, refinery products, crude oil, coal, cement, natural gas and fertilizers- comprise 40.27 per cent of the weight of items included in the Index of Industrial Production (IIP).
- Industry Weight (In percentage)
- Petroleum & Refinery production – 28.04
- Electricity generation – 19.85
- Steel production – 17.92
- Coal production – 10.33
- Crude Oil production – 8.98
- Natural Gas production – 6.88
- Cement production – 5.37
- Fertilizers production – 2.63
- ICI is released by the Office of Economic Advisor, under the Ministry of Commerce and Industries. The base year of the ICI is 2011-12.
Why in News?
- The combined Index of Eight Core Industries stood at 131.7 in November 2021, which increased by 3.1 per cent (provisional) as compared to the Index of November 2020.
- The production of Coal, Natural Gas, Refinery Products, Fertilizers, Steel and Electricity industries increased in November 2021 over the corresponding period of last year.