NEWS Many Central forces are functioning without regular chiefs, which could impact their efficiency.
CONTEXT The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), Border Security Force (BSF), National Security Guard and other crucial organisations like the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB), the Bureau of Police Research and Development (BPR&D) are either working without a regular head or being headed under additional charge.
- The fact that many Central Forces are functioning without regular chiefs, could impact their efficiency and can have a detrimental impact on India’s internal security, as the concerned agencies play a pivotal role in maintaining internal security.
- The process of appointments is marked by long delays. Since most appointees to the top posts are at the fag end of their service, they are left with just a few months or a year or so to head these organisations. There is little they can do within their short tenures.
- There is a lack of seriousness in posting the right kind of officers with not only the required skill and experience but also the time which can have an adverse impact on the efficiency of these forces.
- Also, officers holding provisional charge shy away from taking major policy decisions and prefer to leave such matters to the next person in charge.
- The government should consider providing a minimum tenure of two years or till superannuation, whichever is later. This will help ensure sufficient tenure for the chief to implement some reforms.
- The government of the day should consider announcing the next chief of these organisations at least three months in advance with a minimum tenure of two years or till superannuation, whichever is later.
- Those being considered for such posts should be from among the officers who have served in these organisations earlier. This will help in better strategic planning of the organisation.
- A panel of officers, cleared by the Union Public Service Commission should be always kept ready and the officers for the top posts could be chosen from this panel. This will go a long way in speeding up decisions and enhancing the efficiency of these forces.