Improving Higher Education
- Continuous efforts are being made to make India a global hub for higher education.
- Over the last 6 years, many structural efforts have been made towards higher education.
Current status of Higher Education
- In today’s era, higher education has been the focus with our increased efforts to establish more number of IIT’s and other research institutions.
- There is increased interest among students to take up higher education particularly in the field of research.
- The government’s approaches towards the education sector are in par with Atma Nirbhar Bharat.
- Inclusion of women in higher education is increasing because of access and quality.
- The current National Education Policy (NEP) has emphasized the creation of a National Research Foundation to improve the research ecosystem as well as towards multidisciplinary and holistic education.
- Thus, the Indian education system is plural as well as diverse.
Pillars for strengthening Higher Education
- Infrastructure- for quality education
- Human resource- for nurturing the talent
- Governance- for building leadership qualities
- Maintenance and financing of institutions
- Autonomy for institutions
What needs to be done to create a research ecosystem ?
- For moving from service to product economy, research is an essential component.
- The NEP focusses on strengthening school education for building innovative skills for the future which needs to be replicated.
- Public – Private Partnership is essential for building the research culture.
- The socially relevant, locally need based and nationally important research needs to be identified and carried forward.
- Funding of institutions with research excellence can also be a way to provide research-based education.
- The first and foremost challenge is to overcome infrastructural limitations.
- Introduction of quality towards excellence in terms of research.
- The behavioural limitation of the people towards digital education.
- State Universities have a lot of restrictions for research , funding , curriculum etc.
- The vocational training needs to be considered as primary.
- Research funding should be performance based or outcome based.
- Public Private Partnership is needed for providing digital education.
- Skill based curriculum can be made for the school level.
- Introduction of accountability and healthy competition among higher education institutions.
- The interest needs to be multi dimensional and increased access to quality education can be ensured by reinventing the universities from time to time.
View all comments