- Foldscope is an affordable origami-based microscopy device composed of a series of paper clippings.
- Upon assembly, the device can hold a specimen slide for observation, and this specimen can be viewed via a mobile phone camera attached to it.
- It is portable and durable, and performs on par with conventional microscopes.
- Foldscope can be used to diagnose diseases like oral health, urinary tract infection (UTI), leishmaniasis, schistosomiasis, and monitor kidney stones.
- It can be employed in public healthcare centres for primary diagnosis or as personal health monitoring devices.
- Apart from the medical field it can also be used in agriculture, to detect various types of microorganisms which affect the crops and animals.
Why in News?
Recently, a team of doctors have explored and validated the clinical utility of foldscope in the diagnosis of diseases using various patient samples.