What are FASTag’s ?
- FASTag is a reloadable tag that allows automatic deduction of toll without having to stop for carrying out the cash transaction. The tag uses radio frequency identification (RFID) technology and is fixed on the windscreen of the vehicle once active.
- The tag is valid for five years and comes in seven different colours — violet, orange, yellow, green, pink, blue, black. Each colour is assigned to a particular category of vehicles.
- The payment method is a part of the National Electronic Toll Collection (NETC) programme. The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) collects the payments.
- According to the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI), these devices will make passing through tolls considerably smoother since drivers will no longer have to carry cash or stop to make a transaction.
- The objective is to remove bottlenecks and capture all toll electronically.
- Cameras at toll booths will take photos of passengers in a vehicle, which will be useful for the Ministry of Home Affairs as there will be a record of a vehicle’s movement.
Benefits of using FASTag
- Ease of payment – No need to carry cash for the toll transactions, saves time
- Near non-stop movement of vehicles leading to lower fuel cost.
- Online Recharge – FASTag can be recharged online through Credit Card / Debit Card / NEFT/ RTGS or Net banking
- Environmental benefit
- Reduced air pollution
- Reduced use of paper
- Social Benefit
- Reduced toll payment hassles ,
- Analytics for better highway management
- Economic benefit
- Reduced effort in management at toll plaza,
- Reduced effort in monitoring centrally
Why in News?
Union Minister for Road Transport announced that FASTag is being made mandatory for all vehicles in the country from 1st of January, 2021.