Why in the news?
- The 19th edition of the Indian and French Navy bilateral exercise ‘VARUNA-2021’ is scheduled to be conducted in the Arabian Sea from 25th to 27th April 2021.
News in detail
- The three day exercise will see high tempo-naval operations at sea, including
- advanced air defence and anti-submarine exercises,
- intense fixed and rotary wing flying operations,
- tactical manoeuvres,
- surface and anti-air weapon firings,
- underway replenishment and other maritime security operations.
- Units of both navies will endeavour to enhance their war-fighting skills to demonstrate their ability as an integrated force to promote peace, security and stability in the maritime domain.
- VARUNA-21 highlights growing bonhomie and showcases increased levels of synergy, coordination and inter-operability between the two friendly navies.
- These interactions further underscore the shared values as partner navies, in ensuring freedom of seas and commitment to an open, inclusive Indo-Pacific and a rules-based international order.