Eklavya Model Residential School
- The scheme of Eklavya Model Residential Schools (EMRSs) was introduced in the year 1997-98 with an objective to provide quality middle and high-level education to Scheduled Tribe (ST) students in remote areas in order to enable them to avail of reservation in high and professional educational courses and get jobs in government and public and private sectors.
- The schools focus not only on academic education but on the all-round development of the students. Each school has a capacity of 480 students, catering to students from Class VI to XII.
- It has been decided that by the year 2022, every block with more than 50% ST population and at least 20,000 tribal persons, will have an EMRS.
- EMRS are set up in States/UTs with grants under Article 275(1) of the Constitution of India.
- The scheme is being implemented by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
Why in the news?
- Ministry of Tribal Affairs organized ‘Samvaad’ a virtual interaction of students of Eklavya Model Residential Schools on the occasion of International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples (Aug 9).
View all comments