What’s in the news?
- The Ministry of Education has launched a mobile app called Bhasha Sangam in order to help people acquire basic conversation ability in languages other than one’s mother tongue to at least 75 lakh people.
- This language learning initiative has been taken under Ek Bharat Shrestha Bharat Programme.
- The App has more than 100 sentences of common usage, both in text and audio format, in 22 Indian languages.
Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat
- The initiative ‘Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat’ was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 31st October, 2015 to commemorate the 140th birth anniversary of Sardar Patel to revive a sense of ‘nationhood’.
- The programme aims to actively enhance interaction between people of diverse cultures living in different States and UTs in India, with the objective of promoting greater mutual understanding amongst them.
- As per the programme, each year, every State/UT would be paired with another State/UT in India for reciprocal interaction between the people.
- It is envisaged through this exchange, that the knowledge of the language, culture, traditions and practices of different states will lead to an enhanced understanding and bonding between one another, thereby strengthening the unity and integrity of India.
- The broad objectives of the initiative are as follows:
- To CELEBRATE the Unity in Diversity of our Nation and to maintain and strengthen the fabric of traditionally existing emotional bonds between the people of our Country;
- To PROMOTE the spirit of national integration through a deep and structured engagement between all Indian States and Union Territories through a year-long planned engagement between States;
- To SHOWCASE the rich heritage and culture, customs and traditions of either State for enabling people to understand and appreciate the diversity that is India, thus fostering a sense of common identity
- TO ESTABLISH long-term engagements and,
- TO CREATE an environment which promotes learning between States by sharing best practices and experiences.