About Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) scheme
- It is a tri-ministerial initiative of Ministries of Women and Child Development, Health & Family Welfare and Education with a focus on awareness and advocacy campaign for changing mindsets, multi-sectoral action in select districts, enabling girls’ education and effective enforcement of Pre-Conception & Pre Natal Diagnostic Techniques (PC&PNDT) Act.
- The specific objectives of the scheme is to
- address declining Child Sex Ratio (CSR) by preventing gender biased sex selective elimination;
- ensuring survival and protection of the girl child and
- ensuring education and participation of the girl child.
Why in News?
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development organised celebrations across the country under the BBBP scheme to commemorate the National Girl Child Day (24th January, 2022).
- In view of COVID-19 situation in the country, the programmes were organised on virtual/online mode across the nation to promote awareness about the rights of the Girl Child and to celebrate their achievements in various fields.