About the Scheme
- Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) scheme is a tri-ministerial initiative of Ministries of Women and Child Development, Health & Family Welfare and Human Resource which focuses on awareness and advocacy campaign for changing mind-sets, multi-sectoral action, enabling girls’ education and effective enforcement of Pre-Conception & Pre Natal Diagnostic Techniques (PC & PNDT) Act.
- Launched in 2015, BBBP addresses the declining Child Sex Ratio (CSR) and related issues of women empowerment over a life-cycle continuum.
- The objectives of the Scheme are as under:
- To prevent gender biased sex selective elimination
- To ensure survival and protection of the girl child
- To ensure education and participation of the girl child
- The 100 districts have been identified on the basis of low Child Sex Ratio as per Census 2011 covering all States/UTs as a pilot with at least one district in each state.
- The scheme has further been expanded to 61 additional districts selected from 11 States/UT having CSR below 918.
Pan India Expansion of BBBP
- The Pan India Expansion of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao covering all 640 districts (as per census 2011) of the country was launched on 8th March 2018.
Why in News?
- The Parliamentary Committee on Empowerment of Women in its report tabled in Lok Sabha noted that the government spent a whopping 80% of funds under its flagship Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao scheme on media campaigns and must now revisit this strategy and invest in measurable outcomes in health and education for girls.
- It adds that over the last six years, through focussed advocacy BBBP has been able to capture the attention of political leadership and national consciousness towards valuing the girl child. Now, it is time to focus on other verticals by making ample financial provisions to help achieve measurable outcomes related to education and health envisaged under the scheme.