- Sri Vaikunda Swamigal contributed a great deal for the modernization of the Hindu society in South Travancore.
- Ayya Vaikundar is a pioneer of social reform movements in India.
- The custom-ridden society underwent revolutionary changes by his efforts. He tirelessly strived to remove the inequality based on birth and to establish a casteless society. He preached equality among all the people.
- He condemned those who divided the society into many groups and considered as “nisas”. He wanted to unite all the castes.
- To attain the object of equality and unity among all the castes, he advocated coordinated and effective measures.
Why in News?
- The Prime Minister of India paid tributes to Sri Ayya Vaikunda Swamikal on his birth anniversary.