- In pursuance of the resolution passed by participants of the Symposium on Asian Elections in the Twenty First Century held from January 26-29, 1997 in Manila, Philippines, the Association of Asian Election Authorities (AAEA) was established in 1998.
- The mission of the Association of Asian Election Authorities is to provide a non-partisan forum in the Asian region for sharing experiences and best practices among election authorities to discuss and act upon ways to promote open and transparent elections with the objective of supporting good governance and democracy.
- Currently, 20 Asian EMBs are members of AAEA. Election Commission of India is a founder member of the AAEA.
- AAEA is also an Associate Member of the 118 member Association of World Election Bodies (A-WEB).
Why in News?
- India has been unanimously elected as the new Chair of the Association of Asian Election Authorities for 2022-2024. Commission on Elections, Manila was the current chair of AAEA.