What Is Artificial Intelligence (AI)?
- Artificial intelligence refers to the simulation of human intelligence in machines that are programmed to think like humans and mimic their actions.
The term may also be applied to any machine that exhibits traits associated with a human mind such as learning and problem-solving.
- Weak AI tends to be simple and single-task oriented, while strong AI carries on tasks that are more complex and human-like.
Applications of Artificial Intelligence
- The applications for artificial intelligence are endless. The technology can be applied to many different sectors and industries.
- AI is being tested and used in the healthcare industry for dosing drugs and different treatment in patients, and for surgical procedures in the operating room.
- Other examples of machines with artificial intelligence include computers that play chess and self-driving cars.
- It also has applications in the financial industry, where it is used to detect and flag activity in banking and finance such as unusual debit card usage and large account deposits.
- Personal assistants such as Amazon’s Alexa and Apple’s Siri are examples of weak AI.
What Is the Internet of Things (IoT)?
- The Internet of Things refers to a network comprised of physical objects capable of gathering and sharing electronic information.
- The Internet of Things includes a wide variety of “smart” devices, from industrial machines that transmit data about the production process to sensors that track information about the human body.
- The goal behind the Internet of things is to have devices that self report in real-time, improving efficiency and bringing important information to the surface more quickly without depending on human intervention.
Applications of IoT
- Smart homes equipped with smart thermostats, smart appliances and connected heating, lighting and electronic devices can be controlled remotely via computers and smartphones.
- Wearable devices with sensors and software can collect and analyze user data, sending messages to other technologies about the users with the aim of making users’ lives easier and more comfortable.
- In healthcare, IoT offers many benefits, including the ability to monitor patients more closely using an analysis of the data that’s generated.
- In agriculture, IoT-based smart farming systems can help monitor, for instance, light, temperature, humidity and soil moisture of crop fields using connected sensors.
- IoT is also instrumental in automating irrigation systems.
- In a smart city, IoT sensors and deployments, such as smart streetlights and smart meters, can help alleviate traffic, conserve energy, monitor and address environmental concerns, and improve sanitation.
What is AIoT?
- The Artificial Intelligence of Things (AIoT) is the combination of artificial intelligence technologies with the Internet of Things infrastructure to achieve more efficient IoT operations, improve human-machine interactions and enhance data management and analytics.
- AIoT is transformational and mutually beneficial for both types of technology as AI adds value to IoT through machine learning capabilities and IoT adds value to AI through connectivity, signaling and data exchange.
- AI can be used to transform IoT data into useful information for improved decision making processes.
Why in News?
Smartphone maker Realme is hoping to launch a number of AIoT products this year in India.