Arogya Setu App’s source code
About Arogya Setu App
- Aarogya Setu is a mobile app launched by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology to help citizens identify their risk of contracting Covid-19.
- Aarogya Setu is designed to keep the user informed in case s/he has crossed paths with someone who has tested positive.
- The tracking is done through a Bluetooth & location-generated social graph, which can show user’s interaction with anyone who has tested positive.
- The app alerts are accompanied by instructions on how to self-isolate and what to do in case you develop symptoms.
- There is also a self-testing tool where the users can assess their health voluntarily by answering a few questions.
Concerns about source code
- Concerns were raised previously about not making the source code (software programming code) of the App public.
- The closed source architecture of the app violates transparency principles.
- An open source code allows researchers and experts to test the architecture and suggest measures to correct vulnerabilities.
- For instance, Singapore’s TraceTogether app was made open source.
Why in News?
- The government announced opening the source code of its coronavirus tracking app, Aarogya Setu.
- The government reiterated that transparency, privacy and security have been the core design principle of Aarogya Setu.
- Opening the source code to the software developer community signifies the Government of India continuing principal to these commitments.
What is a source code?
- Source code is the fundamental component of a computer program that is created by a programmer.
- It is a set of step-by-step instructions to the computer that are in a human readable format.
- Source code will be converted into a machine readable format– called object code – by the process of compilation.
- Source codes are written in Computer programming languages such as Python, Java, C++, Swift, SQL, etc.
What is an open source code?
- The term open source refers to something people can modify and share because its design is publicly accessible.
- Open source software is software with source code that anyone can inspect, modify, and enhance.
- Programmers who have access to a computer program’s source code can improve that program by adding features to it or fixing parts that don’t always work correctly.
- More importantly an open source code allows researchers and experts to test the architecture and suggest measures to correct cybersecurity vulnerabilities.
View all comments