What’s in the news?
- Abhyas, a high-speed expendable aerial target (HEAT), developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation as a target for the testing of missile systems was successfully flight tested from the Integrated Test Range (ITR), off the coast of Odisha.
- ABHYAS is designed & developed by Aeronautical Development Establishment of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- The air vehicle was launched using twin under-slung boosters which provide the initial acceleration to the vehicle.
- It is powered by a small gas turbine engine to sustain a long endurance flight at high subsonic speed.
- The target aircraft is equipped with Micro-Electromechanical Systems-based Inertial Navigation System for navigation along with the Flight Control Computer for guidance and control along with Indigenous Radio Altimeter for very low altitude flight and Data Link for encrypted communication between the Ground Control Station and Target Aircraft. The vehicle is programmed for fully autonomous flight.